Sioux Falls, SD, July 31, 2020
The City of Sioux Falls together with Downtown Sioux Falls, are requesting submissions from artists for the DTSF Art Box Project. Traffic signal control boxes are often an overlooked part of urban infrastructure and can easily be transformed with artwork to celebrate and engage our community. For this project, vinyl wraps on 25 utility boxes will showcase artworks from regional artists and will celebrate the cultural diversity of the people living in our city. Selected artists will be awarded stipends for their artwork.
The City of Sioux Falls is home to over 180,000 people with over 130 languages spoken. Submitted artwork should reflect one or more of the following themes. Artists are asked to interpret the words in their own way: Celebrating cultural diversity, empowering community, togetherness, and shared experience. Ultimately, the goal is to uplift and highlight the works of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color artists, although, all submissions will be considered.
All art submissions will be juried and selected by the Sioux Falls Visual Arts Commission. All artists will be notified of selection results by the end of September. Selected designs will be printed on graffiti- resistant vinyl wrap materials and will be placed on 25 downtown utility box locations.
● Open to current South Dakota residents
● All ages are welcome to submit. Parental consent required for minors.
● Imagery must not use any logos or text considered advertising or copyright protected symbols or icons
● Artwork must not include language or imagery that is or could be interpreted as inflammatory, discriminatory or stigmatizing.
● Artist(s) may submit single works, multiple works to be considered for various individual boxes, or multiple works to be displayed on an individual box. More than one artist or work of art may
be selected for display on an individual utility box.
A budget of $800 has been designed for each of the 25 boxes. Artists whose work is selected to wrap one box will be awarded $800. Where more than one artist or work of art is selected for display on a box, the budgeted amount for each box will be divided and paid for each work of art exhibited.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: AUGUST 31, 3020.
To learn more, click here.
For any questions, please contact SFAC’s Operations Manager, Angelica Mercado-Ford via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 605.271.6696.